Summer Solstice; Strawberry Daiquiri for a Strawberry Moon
It’s the Summer solstice; the first Summer solstice to coincide with a full moon since 1967 AND it’s a ‘strawberry’ moon.
What do any of those things mean?
Well let’s start with the Summer solstice. The Summer solstice, occurring each year on or around the 21st June, is simply the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere; the day with the most sunlight (approximately 17 hours).
The ‘strawberry moon’ is the first full moon of June, marking the start of the strawberry season. Yay! Strawberry daiquiri!
Did someone say strawberry daiquiri?
Well what better way to celebrate a Summer solstice that falls on a strawberry moon? A good strawberry daiquiri celebrates both the beginning of summer, and the start of the strawberry season perfectly (well at least we think so). So in honour of the ‘strawberry moon’ Summer Solstice, we’ve got the perfect daiquiri recipe for you – If anyone needs us, we’ll be in the garden with ours.
What you’ll need:
- Ice cubes
- Two parts white rum (we’d use Barcardi but there are other brands out there)
- 1 part Triple Sec
- 1 part fresh strawberries (with trimmed-off tops)
- Lime juice (and some lime wedges too)
- A blender
- A massive jug (if you want more than a couple)
- A healthy appetite for strawberry daiquiri
Right, everything assembled?
Good. Let’s get started, trust us, it’s so unbelievably simple.
- Put your ice, strawberries, rum, Triple Sec and lime juice in a blender and puree.
- Rub the rim of your glass (the ones you’ll serve in) with lime juice and dip in sugar.
- Pour the mixture in.
- Enjoy your delicious Summer solstice treat!
If you don’t like rum then you can always substitute the white rum with vodka instead, and if you’re on a diet, or just looking to reduce sugar intake, you can also substitute the sugar for a sweetener. If you want a bit of extra kick, why not add a splash of strawberry schnapps?